Are you taking care of the engine in your Billy Goat equipment correctly? Vanguard recently updated the oil recommendations for their engines. Here’s what you need to know to keep your single cylinder or V-twin engine lubricated.
Which Oil Should I Use?
The amount of oil and the oil change intervals vary from model to model. However, Vanguard’s oil formula recommendations are the same across all of their engines, including single cylinders and V-twins. The best oil viscosity depends on your operating temperatures.
SAE 30: 40°F and higher
5W-30: 40°F and lower
5W-30: -20 to 120°F
Vanguard 15W-50: 20-130°F
Oil change intervals are the same for all oils, whether they’re conventional or synthetic.
Vanguard recommends oil that meets API service category SJ or higher. This information is printed on the top of the API “donut” symbol, which is on the back of the oil bottle.
When Do I Need to Replace the Oil Filter?
If your engine has an oil filter, it should be changed every 100 hours of operation, or every season. If you’re running your engine under heavy loads or high temperatures, Vanguard recommends changing the oil every 50 hours, but the oil filter will still last 100 hours.
Changing Your Engine Oil
1. Let the engine run for a few minutes to warm it up. This will help the used oil flow out faster. Park your equipment on a level surface and disconnect the spark plugs.
2. Remove the dipstick. This lets air flow into the engine, so the used oil will come out smoothly. It also lets air leave the engine as you fill the crankcase with fresh oil.
3.Remove the drain plug, located at the base of the engine. Let the oil drain into a container for recycling.
4. Install the drain plug.
5. If you have an engine with an oil filter, and it’s due for replacement, change it now. Lightly coat the rubber seal of the new filter with clean engine oil. Once the seal seats on the side of the engine, tighten the filter another 1/2-3/4 turn.
6. Wipe down the area around the oil fill cap to keep debris from entering the engine.
7. Remove the fill cap and add oil.
8. Once you add the correct amount of oil, wait at least a minute to let the oil to make its way down to the crankcase.
9. Wipe off the dipstick, then fully insert it into the engine. Remove the dipstick and check the oil level. The oil should reach the “Full” indicator. Add more oil as needed.
10. Insert the dipstick and connect the spark plugs.
We Have Everything For Your Billy Goat, Even Engine Parts
Billy Goat Parts is an authorized dealer for Billy Goat and their manufacturing partners, including Vanguard. We have a section on our website set aside for commonly ordered Vanguard and Briggs & Stratton parts like filters. If you need anything else, our search engine can find compatible parts based on your equipment model and serial number. Visit us at www.billygoatparts.com. We ship across the USA and Canada.